Thursday, August 29, 2013

My First Ever Furniture Makeover!


Ladies and gentleman, I present to you my very first furniture makeover! I have been wanting to makeover a piece of furniture for a looonngg time now, but I've been to scared to screw it up miserably. I'm not really sure what inspired me to suddenly grab our TV stand and go to town, but I'm so glad I did! And good thing it turned out nicely or we'd be stuck with some major suckage in our living room!




So how'd I do it? I applied a coat of primer that we had in hand and then used our white paint that we used for doors. We ended up needing about three coats of white paint on this baby. I would recommend two coats of primer to avoid so many coats of paint. 



The stenciling was a last minute decision, that I am very happy with! I think it's my favorite part. I just love how it ties in the wall color. 

Of course my first furniture makeover is far from perfect. We made a lot of mistakes and some are still even visible if you look closely, but I don't mind. Getting over my fear of making over furniture is what this project was all about. And now I feel prepared to tackle all the furniture piles up in our basement just waiting for me. Also, this tv stand is patiently waiting for some shelves to accompany it along our wall. If only the hubby would get on that... just kidding... well sort of.

Was anyone else nervous to makeover their first piece of furniture? How'd it turn out? I would love to hear about it.

Is anyone still avoiding their first furniture project? I say just go for it!!




14 comments:

  1. Looks great! I need to do this to somethings in our house, too. Did you sand first, or just prime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a laminate piece, so I did a lot of reading up on it through other blogs. I skipped the sanding process and went straight for the priming. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this! Is the brown the original wood or paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used the paint that's on the walls for the stenciled design.

      Delete
  3. Looks awesome. I love the stencil!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I think the stencil turned out awesome!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is your *first* makeover? It looks like you're a seasoned pro! Nice work! ~Ali from Pies & Puggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! I was really nervous about doing it, but I'm so glad I finally did!

      Delete
  6. This is a gorgeous piece. You did an absolute fabulous job on the makeover and I have to agree that the panels make the piece pop! *Stopping by via the Bissful & Domestic Link Party*

    Feel free to stop by my blog, Artistic Expressions by Elisabeth,if you get the chance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore a great furniture makeover, I can't believe this is your first one! Wow, nice job for real!
    Last week you linked this up at Two Girls and a Party, but I wanted to letcha know that party has expanded now into 6 bloggers co-hosting, so I've been able to feature you this week because it's really a great creative project I think my readers will enjoy seeing.
    Come check it out-
    http://www.justalittlecreativity.com/2013/09/six-blogs-one-great-party-lovely-ladies.html
    Have a great week,
    Molly from Just a Little Creativity

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful job you did on the TV stand makeover. I always love to see pieces of furniture repurposed .

    I would love to have you to link up at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-60-with-grandpas.html

    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! My first project was reupholstering a wing back chair! Yikes! I think I should have started with something a little smaller and more manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I <3 your refinish!!!! Your stencil is pretty and perfect!! Pinned! Say that 3X, lol:)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! I read each and every comment left on my blog, and try to respond as quickly as possible. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...