The cooler weather we had yesterday had me craving some delicious tomato soup! On our way home from camping, we stopped at the grocery store for all the ingredients, threw everything into the crock pot, and waited for dinner time. I decided to share this recipe with you today since fall is right around the corner. If you are anything like me, you probably haven't eaten many warm foods lately. I don't dare turn on the stove, oven, or crock pot during the days of extreme heat. I was so excited for a cool day to make something warm that I haven't had in a while. This tomato soup is seriously the best tomato soup I have ever had. Try it once, and I guarantee you won't be sorry!
2 cans (14 oz each) diced tomatoes with the juice
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced onions
1 tsp dried oregano
1Tbsp dried basil
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, carrots, celery, onions, oregano, and basil into a large crock pot.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for approximately 6 hours to allow flavors to blend and vegetables to soften.
3. 30 minutes prior to serving, melt butter and add in flour. Stir constantly for about 5 minutes. Add to soup mixture.
4. Stir and add in Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt, and pepper.
5. Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes, or until you are ready to serve.
This soup is so good, even my husband will eat it (he is more of a meat and potatoes kind of guy)!
Also, this soup is great for dipping grilled cheese!