Saturday, February 2, 2013

Heart Wreath: Tutorial

With Valentine's Day quickly approaching, I am not sure if I will have time to make anything new (school will be kicking my butt the next few weeks!). That is the down side. The upside is that I made a few fun projects last year that I haven't showed you guys yet, yay! 

Today I will be showing you my Heart Wreath. It is one of my favorite projects, and I hope you will love it as well. 


what you will need:
wreath form, ribbon, wood hearts of all sizes, scrapbook paper, wooden circle beads (in two sizes), red paint, mod podge, gorilla glue, hot glue gun


I started by wrapping the ribbon around the wreath form. To do this, I used gorilla glue on the end and used safety pins to reinforce the hold. I wrapped the ribbon and once the wreath was completely covered, I used gorilla glue and pins to finish the other end. 

When that was finished, I began tracing hearts onto the scrapbook paper, mixing up the shapes and sizes for each paper pattern. (It is important that you do this as one of your first steps. Once you paint your hearts, you will not be able to trace them until they are dry.)

Once all the hearts were traced, I began painting the hearts. Since it will end up being 3D, I made sure to cover both sides with the red paint. 


While I waited for my paint to dry, I cut out all the traced hearts so they would be ready to go.

When the paint dried, I glued the wooden beads onto the backs of the hearts using gorilla glue. I made sure to have some flat hearts (no beads on the back), as well as a variety of both bead sizes to give three different heights to my wreath. You don't need to have the same amount of each, i just mixed it up at random.


When the glue was completely dry, I painted all the beads.


When all the painting was complete and dry, I used mod podge to adhere the paper hearts to the wooden hearts. First, a layer of mod podge on the wooden hearts, then add the paper hearts, and finally another layer of mod podge on the top to seal it off. Then, more waiting time for things to dry...


Finally, it was time to place the hearts on the wreath. I placed hearts all over, with no particular rhyme or reason, trying to cover as much of the wreath as possible. For this part, I used a hot glue gun which seemed to work out pretty well. I added a loop of ribbon for easy hanging to finish it off. 



What do you think?! Let me know if you plan to try this, I would love to hear all about it.
What are some of your favorite Valentine's Day decorations?

Happy Groundhogs Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! I read each and every comment left on my blog, and try to respond as quickly as possible. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...